Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Our Get-A-Way (kind of a disaster but pretty wonderful!)



A few days ago Sean and I celebrated our 1 year wedding anniversary.  It fell on a Saturday so we headed off to Syracuse, Indiana (yeah, we had never heard of it either) to a lake resort.  We scheduled a couples massage at the spa at the resort for 12:30.  It was going to take about 2.5 hours to get to the resort and we left at 9:30.  We did not realize that Syracuse was 1 hour ahead and the gps had us arriving at 1:00, but luckily, the spa called and needed to move our appointment to 1:30.  Phew!   Crisis averted!

We arrived at the spa only to find out that our "couple's" massage was each of us getting a massage, but at different times... so weird and not at all what I think of when I think of a couple's massage.  Oh well, a massage is a massage and we both enjoyed it!  **side note: the staff was super talkative with each other and gossiped the whole time about other people who came into the spa... It made me really wonder what they'd say about us! **. After, we checked into our hotel. We unpacked, hung around, and decided to explore the hotel.  I got my camera ready to go, tried to take a picture of our beautiful view of the lake, looked at my screen and "No SD CARD" flashed back at me.  Here I was, in front of a beautiful lake, celebrating my anniversary, and no camera!  Cue almost crying!  After walking around the hotel, by the lake, and back to our room we decided to drive into town and explore the "shopping" I had read about.  The shopping.. was one arts and craft shop...that was closed.  We ended up bowling.  We were lucky enough to get the lane right next to the birthday party.  We were even luckier because the parents had just passed out the noise makers.  It was fun.  I had a high score of 70, sadly that is one of my better scores I've had.

We headed back to the hotel and got ready for dinner only to find out that the we needed to make a reservation for the onsite restaurant.  Sean called and we got a reservation for about 2 hours later. 7:45 rolled around and we headed to the restaurant.  It was pretty fancy!  Fancier then what we were used to at least.  There were plenty of tables yet we were brought back to the bar.  The bar was noticeably different than the dining area. I'm talking the difference between a gorgeous dining room with a windowed wall where you can see the beautiful lake and a wood paneled, tiny, loud, bar.   We were sat at the bar where we were surrounded by waitresses getting their drinks, loud groups, and a band.  It was definitely not what I imagined when I pictured our romantic anniversary dinner.

After dinner (the food was pretty good!) we went back to our room and relaxed. After a not so great night of sleep( there was a bright light right outside our window) we headed out.  We stopped at a cafe in town where we waited for quite awhile before being served.  We then headed to Amish Acres where almost everything was closed.  On our way home (about 1 hour into our drive) I received a call that we had left our winter coats in the cabinet in our room...sigh...

When I think about our get-a-way almost nothing went the way it was supposed to.  It was nothing like I pictured in my head but to be honest, I am not disappointed at all!  While all of those things were a little less romantic and intimate then I planned, I still had an amazing time with my husband.  I am not going to remember the separate couples massage; I am going to remember laughing about the gossiping masseuses afterwards.  I am not going to remember the lack of shopping or loud birthday party; I am going to remember joking around and getting too many gutter balls to count.  I am not going to remember sitting in a noisy bar instead of the romantic dining area; I am going to remember singing along to the awesome band, people watching, and sitting nice and cozy at the bar.  I am going to remember Sean bringing me an apple after dinner because it is exactly what he did on our wedding night because I was hungry.  I am going to remember how even though nothing went right, we had so much fun together! I am so grateful to be with someone who doesn't let me stay disappointed.  I am with someone who makes the most out of any situation.  I am so fortunate to be with something who I can have SO much fun with no matter what we are doing.  This was by no means the perfect get-a-way but I can definitely say I look forward to more imperfect trips together.

p.s My posts have been slightly sappy lately... I tend to keep my relationship off Facebook but on here I guess I just open up more! I promise my posts will not be all about Sean! March just so happens to be an awesome month for us... back to regularly scheduled programming soon, with an occasional touch of sap. =)






No comments:

Post a Comment